The Oireachtas resolution establishing the Assembly states that "an Expert Advisory Group will be established to assist the work of the Assembly in terms of preparing information and advice."
The main roles of the Expert Advisory Group included the following:
- Supporting the Chair and Secretariat in constructing a fair, balanced and comprehensive work programme for the Assembly on each of the topics;
- Providing background expert advice on the issues being discussed;
- Advising on the criteria for selecting specialists/ experts to appear before the Assembly;
- Recommending names for the specialists/ experts to appear before the Assembly, for ratification by the Steering Group;
- Working with the Chair and Secretariat to select speakers from civil society and advocacy groups.
The Expert Advisory Group is comprised of academics/practitioners across a number of specific fields of interest.
The members of the Expert Advisory Group on how to advance gender equality are Dr. Ursula Barry (University College Dublin), Professor John Garry (Queen’s University Belfast), Dr. Grainne Healy (Equality Expert), Sandra Healy (Dublin City University), Dr. Tom Hickey (Dublin City University), Dr. Helen Russell (The Economic and Social Research Institute), Dr. Emer Smyth (The Economic and Social Research Institute).