The Oireachtas resolution establishing the Assembly states that "an Expert Advisory Group will be established to assist the work of the Assembly in terms of preparing information and advice."
The role of the Expert Advisory Group is primarily:
- Supporting the Chair and Secretariat in constructing a fair, balanced and comprehensive work programme for the Assembly on each of the topics set out in the Oireachtas resolution;
- Providing relevant expert advice on the issues being discussed, including data, research and reference sources;
- Advising on the criteria for selecting specialists/ experts to appear before the Assembly;
- Recommending names for the specialists/ experts to appear before the Assembly;
- Working with the Chair and Secretariat to select speakers from civil society and advocacy groups.
The Expert Advisory Group comprised of academics/practitioners across a number of specific fields of interest.
The members of the Expert Advisory Group on how to advance gender equality were Dr. Ursula Barry (University College Dublin), Professor John Garry (Queen’s University Belfast), Dr. Grainne Healy (Equality Expert), Sandra Healy (Dublin City University), Dr. Tom Hickey (Dublin City University), Dr. Helen Russell (The Economic and Social Research Institute), Dr. Emer Smyth (The Economic and Social Research Institute).